Search This Blog

2/15/12

Assignment 5

Apologies for rambling on in this section - I fear the reader will tire of reading long before reaching the end.
 Looking back, there appears to be a pattern emerging of my being quite comfortable with the  media I've used so far for figure studies - apart from soft pastel that is. Although it isn't  to say I think I'm proficient with most media. Pen and wash haven't figured at all, which seems a shame really. Maybe this was an oversight I should try to resolve, but I think it is precisely the immediacy of dry media that attracts me.   I enjoyed enormously trying out some experimental techniques like subtractive tone with charcoal and eraser (blending and/or hatching) and similarly using pencil (or charcoal) in a loose linear fashion with multi directional strokes then erasing and replacing lines as I drew them – especially easy over paint (see Using Colour 2.). I find Charcoal has the advantage of being very ‘smudgeable’ but the disadvantage of difficulty with detail.  I’m not totally sure why I chose to concentrate on figures rather than portraits for the assignment drawing. I reckoned I needed more experience in this area and it was my main area of focus during this part - Part 5, not to mention the fact that I’ve been going to a weekly life drawing group (with the odd exception) over the past 3 - 4 months, so I decided to continue with figures. I think I also have a fascination with the various angles and shapes made by the human form. Therefore it seemed a natural step to choose the same for my assignment drawing.        See also Course Reflections

sketch 1 - pencil
 When I attempted some sketches for my assignment piece I felt that all 3 of them went a bit haywire – the third being the worst. I tried to sketch quickly, taking a risk by relying on sight only and soon realized things weren’t working out as intended. In the third sketch – which I have destroyed, the head grew larger and larger. The feet were too small in comparison, the legs too puny. I won't say what I thought it looked like, but quite tragicomic, in a way. Even  careful measuring didn't produce the desired results. A slight crisis of confidence ensued causing me to feel as though, despite all my figure drawing practice, I wasn’t improving but getting worse! So I left things alone for a couple of days and fortunately when I returned (with a more relaxed and controlled approach) things went much more smoothly. I have to admit I made careful measurements and noted down many of them in the fourth and final sketch before the finished drawing. 
Ignore the labels on the images themselves - the captions below are correct.
sketch 2 - charcoal


sketch 4 - pencil
I ended up drawing a reclining figure with the head furthest away from me. Although I had done a very similar pose to this in Part 4 (3 Drawings) I wasn’t very pleased with the former drawing, partly as I struggled so much with the foreshortening. Yet I was hankering after the challenge of yet again attempting a foreshortened figure. Their main appeal to me is probably because of the interesting angles and perspectives they create, giving the look of a three dimensional figure moving forward in the picture space - if successful.
Charcoal was the medium I chose, the surface is heavyweight medium textured cartridge paper. I first covered the paper using the side of a stick of scene painter’s charcoal. This is a very similar technique to the one Seurat used to begin many of his monochromatic conte and charcoal drawings.  Then I rubbed it lightly with newsprint to push back the darkness into the picture plane and make it easier to bring the figure forward in space, re-establish the mid-tones if need be and to erase for creating highlights.
The model was illuminated from the right with artificial and natural light. He was positioned below eye level, so I could include much of the surrounding surfaces and objects. These helped to place the figure in context. I included some details of the cushions and soft covers underneath, as I think they also promoted the directional flow, helping to balance out diagonals with horizontal and vertical lines. I tried to give the most emphasis to the feet to help bring them forward and add to the 3 dimensional look. The fingers were difficult – they are so detailed and small in relation to most other features. Also if I included much detail here I was afraid they would detract too much attention away from the feet. So, I only wanted to give them the very minimum of detail, so as to knock them back quite a bit into the distance.  
To help in my attempts at accurate proportions and placement of the figure I did the following: repeatedly checked the negative spaces and measured by making comparisons with the length of one area against another, using the outstretched arm and pencil method. I also marked in the direction lines for angles of limbs and divided up the length and width into equal portions. For the sketch of the final drawing I also used a window mount to help to roughly place in the best way, the figure within the picture plane. With all these checks I think I was well insured from all angles on this occasion.
Finished drawing -charcoal
I tried to feel the direction of the surface plane as I hatched the marks with charcoal and carve out the whites with the corner of cut off pieces of hard eraser. Although I tried it out in earlier exercises, it has been something of a revelation to me to use the eraser as a drawing tool as much as I have, rather than as an eraser for rubbing out mistakes. I now find this technique to be one of the most enjoyable parts of this drawing process.


Conclusion
Certain areas of the drawing at this point, I think, need more work. Leaving an assignment drawing alone at this stage was a test of will power for me, not being something I’m accustomed to - I certainly didn’t have the confidence to do that before. Instead I think I would often put in  too much detail.  I decided not to develop it further as I wanted the choice of being able to return to and tweak it later on, when I am more certain of what needs to be done, if anything and if my tutor suggests it. Now at last I realise it's much easier to add on than take away afterwards. Already I can see that some areas may need softening such as the edge of the shadow under the left upper arm and the vertical lines behind the head, while others need bringing more into focus, such as the feet, which I want to draw attention to a little more. The large highlighted area, I think, needs more emphasis to the right of the figure. Trying not to give the fingers much detail while at the same time getting them to look convincing as fingers, proved to be too elusive. Consequently those on the right under the book, look too dark and chunky around the edges. Perhaps it would have been easier to use a charcoal pencil for these so I could do them more delicately and inconspicuously without smudging the charcoal everywhere. I should try it out. 
It is now becoming almost second nature to discern shapes – their relative size and positions, and measuring, for the most part, has become much easier compared to the beginning of Part 4.  I even find myself wanting the challenge of attempting foreshortened figures in reclining poses, which is why I decided on just that for Assignment 5. Besides being a reclining foreshortened pose, it proved to be a relatively comfortable one for the model. In spite of this the quality of my work has not shown consistent signs of improvement. There have been a few setbacks along the way. Though I would say, because of the practice, that in general I'm finally beginning to approach a subject with more ease and confidence than previously. Fortunately my tutor didn't suggest any re-doing or changes this time, unlike some of my other drawings. I was amazed and relieved with the feedback on this one - here is an extract: 
Assignment piece
'This is a beautiful drawing for this level. It is very well composed and well structured. The use of tone and light is excellent. This drawing has presence and intent and is very well observed and interpreted. The pulling out of light is really working well as is the whole diagonal composition. The drawing has a strong visual impact borne out of hard looking and a determined effort to achieve a successful outcome. It is always good to see successful culminations in assignment five and this certainly is. Put it in your assessment prominently. The prep work for this drawing is good also'. -  one gobsmacked student!

No comments: